Two major events have happened in Zambia while serving my Peace Corps service thus far, the presidential election in September of 2011 and the Africa Cup of Nations in February 2012.
First, last September Zambia held their presidential election. There were a variety of different presidential candidates, but the main candidates in the running were the current president Banda and Michael Sata. Leading up to the election was an exciting time for Zambia. Most of the people in my village were supporting Banda. People were decked out in Banda chitenges, shirts, hats, pins, etc. Other political parties would cruise down the main street of Kawama blaring music and screaming through a megaphone to vote for their party. On election day, all was calm. In major towns throughout Zambia, there was little violence. Even when they announced the new president, there was still little violence. Micheal Sata ended up winning. The song "Don't Kubeba" began playing everywhere. Don't Kubeba meaning don't tell, Don't tell other people you are voting for Sata. You can get and wear other policital parties clothing, etc, but keeping it a secret you are voting for Sata. It was the first time in 40 years there has been a change in political parties. Zambians who didn't want Sata accepted his win and welcomed the new president.
I have never seen Zambians so happy until seeing Zambia win the Africa Cup. The Africa Cup is equivalent to the Super Bowl in America. Zambia was the underdog, they were not expected to win. The first day of the tournament I had children coming to me looking for 'peace work' or things to do around my house to make money. I put the kids to work, having them remove the tall grass from around my house. Later I found out, that they came to do this because they wanted to earn a pin(<$1) to be able to watch the first game of the Africa Cup at the head teachers house. Everyone that watched the game had to pay a pin. The first game Zambia won. I was surprised because in the past I've heard that the Zambia team was not any good. But then the team (Chipolopolo) winning. They tied Libya 2-2 in one of the games, but other than that they didn't lose a game. The semi-final game, I went to the headteachers house to watch the game. Many of my villagers were packed tightly in front of a tiny TV under the nights sky. When Zambia score the first goal in the second half everyone jumped up and down continuously screaming and shouting. The game ended, with Ghana not scoring a goal. Everyone started running around everywhere screaming "Chipolopolo"! The second game didn't start til 8:30pm. Again, people crowded around the small TV. The game ended up going into double overtime. By that time it was almost 1:30 in the morning. People were pushing and shoving to get to the TV so I decided to go home and listen to the rest of the game on the radio. The game ended up going to a shoot out. Zambia won 8-7 in the shootout. I heard an eruption of roars at my school a couple kms away. The next morning zambia winning the Africa Cup was all over the Zambia radio and the BBC. Zambians all over the country were celebrating. This was a much needed win for Zambia.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/story/2012-02-12/zambia-wins-african-cup-of-nations/53064052/1
That's awesome.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are having such a good experience.
I think I'm going to the sister formerly know as Miss Tomczak on Thursday.