I have been at site now for about two months. In the 'community entry' phase of my Peace Corps experience. Basically, it means I can't start any projects but just getting to know the ins and outs of my community.
Work wise I haven't been up to much. Just visiting farmers that are interested in fish farming. There are only a couple fish ponds in my area and the ones that are in my community have been abandoned. I am basically starting from scratch. My community wants fish ponds, but they aren't educated on how to build them and maintain them. So within the next couple months I'll start having meetings to educate the farms about fish farming. Currently, I have been meeting with different fish farmers to look at potential sites for the fish ponds. Meeting with the farmers has been difficult though because the rainy season has started and now is the time farmers are in the field cultivating. My site is very technical so I still have a lot to learn as well. A lot of the water sources in my area are in a valley so I am going to have to learn and teach farmers how to build dams and furrows in order to get water to fish pond sites.
I want to have side projects in my community. I'll be starting an HIV/AIDS group and a womens group. In addition, I want to help start a community resource center/library. I am looking for Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs) or other organizations to help donate books so if you know anyone that would be willing to donate, please let me know.
I rise and fall with the sun here in Zambia. The sun rises a little before 6 and sets around 7. By the time I wake up at 630 or 7, people are already up and about and have been in the fields working. School starts at 7, so I hear the school children headed to school. By 21 hours I like to be securely under my mosquito net because of the mosquitoes and potential snakes that lurk around during the night. I read or listening to music during this time, either from my ipod or my host sisters singing. There are other tasks that the Zambian women are responsible for that I am now responsible for. Fetching water from a well, washing clothes by hand, cooking on a brasher. No faucet, washing or drying machine, and no oven or microwave. I still haven't mastered carrying my water bucket on my head, cooking or scrubbing my clothes as well as the Zambians. I think even after my two years of service I wont come close to how strong the Zambian women are.
Other things I have been up to include visiting members of the community and eating Nshima with them. Nshima here is the staple food that is eaten twice a day. I also attend church services to get to know people. The church services usually last 3 to 4 hours and include a lot of African singing. I hang out with the teachers of my community a lot. I taught them a card game, so some evenings I hang out with them playing cards and talking about American and Zambian culture. During the day I read a lot. Usually during this time, 5 to 20 kids congregate around me. I give them some coloring books to occupy their time but other than that they will just sit and stare at me, play with my trash, or spend hrs using sticks to knock mangos high up in my mango trees. The first couple weeks at site I had a soccer ball that they would play with but it has since broke. Luckily I was sent some more balls.
This week I'm in Solwezi for provincial meetings, so I've had access to an actual computer and other things that village life does not offer (tv, shower, Americans). It's nice these meetings fall during the week of Thanksgiving so I get to spend Thanksgiving with my fellow Peace Corps Volunteers.
I want to thank everyone for all the letters and packages that you all have sent me. I appreciate them a lot!! It's so great to hear how all of you are, so keep the letters coming. It may take some time, but I will be sure to write you back with more of my stories. I do have an internet phone so check my email daily, but it's a pain to email people back on it.
Love and miss you all!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Kim
No comments:
Post a Comment