Sunday, September 26, 2010

Posting!

Hey all!
Love and miss you all! Sorry I haven't been able to blog much. I have only had an opportunity to be on an actual computer a couple times since I arrived here in Zambia. Most of my internet access has come from my internet phone, not an actual computer.
I swore in as a official Peace Corps Volunteer on Friday September 24th! I am now a Department of Fisheries Extension Agent in the Northwest Province of Zambia! Here is the link to the U.S. Ambassadors remarks to us new volunteers at the ceremony. http://zambia.usembassy.gov/rap.html
The last 9 weeks have been really intense; days filled with language class, tech class, cultural lessons, and health and safety classes. The week before swear-in was even more hectic. We had our final classes and our LPI (language exam). I passed the language exam at an intermediate low level! On Wednesday we had Cultural Day which was a farewell ceremony for us trainees to say our thanks and goodbyes to our host families.
I am currently in Solwezi, getting ready for posting. The next two days are designated for everyone to get supplies for their new homes. All of us are posted throughout the week, 2 or 3 people each day. I will be getting placed on Wednesday the 29th.
The next three months is Community Entry and the months are a critical part of my service. During this time, I wont be starting any projects. I will be getting to know my community and starting to build relationships. Because it is an important part of service, I am not allowed to leave my site until late December (except for Thanksgiving). I would love to hear from you guys via letters as I might not have other means of communication often. I do get cell service at my new home, but don't know how often I will be going to the boma (nearest village) to charge my phone. If you want, you may send packages. My wish list includes: Any small gift for the children here, Crystal Light packets, American Snacks (Peach O's, gummy worms, etc), magazines, newspapers, map of America, PICTURES, antiperspirant, anything else you think would remind me of home or that I would like. If you send me a letter/package, I will surely write you back about my African adventures (I have already sent letters to those that have written me, let me know when you get them.)
Mushale bulongo!
My address:

Kim Tomczak, PCV
Peace Corps
P.O. Box 110264
Solwezi, ZAMBIA Africa
Phone# 011-260-979-104-676

A letter costs 98 cents to mail.

There is a 7 hour difference from Omaha, 6 hour from East Coast. (A 10 AM in
Omaha it is 5:00 PM in Zambia)... whereas the saying "It's 5 o'clock
somewhere!
:)!
Miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. The mail carrier is getting your letter now.

    ReplyDelete