Thursday, August 5, 2010

Training!

Hey all, sorry I haven't updated in awhile. I have an internet phone but haven't had access to a computer so it has been hard to update my blog.
Things are going well. Africa is so beautiful
and the Zambian people are so friendly. The second day I got here we were all
assigned our new language. I am learning kaonde which is spoken in nw zambia,
Congo and Angola therefore I know the province where my site will be for 2 yrs,
the NW province of Zambia. Also on the second day we got sent to visit a current
volunteer to see if PC is for us. They randomly placed each trainee at a site
for a couple days. I was lucky to visit NW region. I stayed with PCV Renee bell
and she showed me what life was like as a volunteer. It was a culture shock at first but I really enjoyed the visit. Within the time at renees site i helped harvest a fish pond, visited the clinic and got to watch some local soccer. I'm getting used to the life here and liking it more and more.
I'm currently in my 2nd week of the 9 week
training. Staying with a Zambian family for the training period near the
training center. My host mother and father have seven children. I never know which children are theirs though as there are a lot of grandkids and neighbor kids running around. My host family speaks kaonde. They are a wonderful family and have made me feel welcome. Me and another trainee, john, are staying with the same family because there aren't a lot of kaonde speaking families in the area. We have cute little huts right next to each other.
I have a 7km bike ride to class, I ride through a bush path and on a gravel road. It shouldn't take that long but the roads are terrible so it takes longer. An
average day for me is wake up at 6, take a bucket bath, have breakfast and study
the language. I then have language class from 8 to 12, go home for lunch then
have tech training from 2 to 5. At night i go home and sit in front of the fire with my family while i study or go hang with other PC trainees. Then me and john have dinner with our parents and I'm in bed by 830. Busy days and learning a lot. The language is a challenge, my language class is only three people including me though so it's more personal which helps. I would love to update more but it takes a long time to write this on my phone. So until next time! P.s. Sorry if there are grammatical errors. I'm writing this on my internet phone.

2 comments:

  1. bucket bath, kaonde, cute huts...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll give you a break about the grammatical errors hehe But it sounds like you're having an awesome time and taking full advantage of this great opportunity that most people don't ever get or take the chance of doing it!!! This is awesome and I'm glad I can call you my friend! :)

    Be safe riding through the bush!

    ReplyDelete