Why have American become so dependable on machines? Is it because our lives are so busy that we can’t spare 10 or so minutes to just do something ourselves?
In Zambia, mostly everything is done by hand. There are no machines. People burn or have to slash their grass, hand wash their clothes and dishes, walk or bike everywhere, go to the bathroom in a hole in the ground, and get water from a well.
But I can’t be too critical because I don’t do everything. Doing things by hand, sometimes isn’t easy. I let little kids slash my grass just because my water source recently became inaccessible so now I have kids fetch my water from a couple kilometers away.
The fact that Americans use more machines may be due to the fact that people have less time in America. Zambia is not like America in which everything is rushed. People in the rural villages of Zambia, for the most part, have a lot of time. In America, many people work 8-5 jobs. When they get home they are tired. So it is understandable not wanting to get home then hand wash your clothes. Also in Zambia, people have many more kids, that the parent can give tasks to.
But, I still think there are things in America we can do without. An example, the electric can opener. I don’t think American should totally be dependable on machines. So, take the carbon footprint quiz. See how you are impacting our world and try to make changes. Walk to work, turn out your lights, hand wash your dishes. Like I said, I’m not a saint but I still live a life where I am not depending on machines.
http://footprint.wwf.org.uk/
Yeah, I'm only 3 days out.
ReplyDeleteThink of all the respect you'll have when you come back. You're coming back right?
Glad to see it is going well, I know it must be a challenge. People would give me all the crap for not having a car. BTW NOW that I have a car, I miss riding the bus.
Have a GREAT Time.