I rise and fall with the sun here in Zambia. I wake up as soon as the morning sun peers through the opening between the mud bricks and my thatched roof. Outside I hear kids whacking mangos out of the mango tree in front of my house. I open my door to see Morgan, a neighbor boy, carrying a bad of mangos in one hand and eating a mango with the other hand. His older sister, Omba, is up high in the tree dropping mangos for him to add to his bag.
I soon put on my shoes and head for my morning walk. There is only one path I can take as all the other paths are barely passable due to the thick grass. I'm careful taking these bush paths in the rainy season due to the snakes or other creatures that may not be visible. The path I do take though still has tall grass on either side. I pass big puddles of water, marching ants, and many of the local people carrying out their daily activities. I pass some of the neighbor boys, biking to buy cooking oil or to fetch water and women in the fields, collecting their relish. It is a Sunday, and people are also headed to church. Men ride by me in their Sunday best. After a mile or so I reach the river. I find a women and her child washing dishes in the river. At this point, I turn around.
Everyone I meet along the way greets me saying 'mwabuka byepi' while clapping their hands twice and I reply 'nabuka bolongo, kana anweba?' while I place my hand over my heart while doing a little curtsy. They then ask me where I'm going and I tell them "kwenda tu' I am just walking. They don't understand because they walk everywhere.
I get home to more children looking for mangos in my mango trees. I don't see them but hear giggling and see several pairs of shoes under the trees. I start my braisher by putting coal in it then going to my neighbors to have them put hot fire on the coals. I heat up my bathing water, while I kick the soccer ball around with some of the neighbor kids. Once my water is heated I take a bucket bath. My bathing shelter is a grass shelter with no root. It's pretty nice taking a 'shower' and looking up at the towering trees and sky.
After I bathe, I start preparing lunch because my braisher is still hot. Today I am cooking rice mixed with tomato onions and egg. Across the road, church is in session. I can hear the same choir song I hear each week being sung. While the rice is cooking, I proceed with kicking the soccer ball around with the boys.
Around noon, I eat lunch while I do some reading. By this time church has gotten out. I have a swarm of kids come to my house looking to play soccer. I politely tell them 'fumiako, kukaya mu churche', please go away, play at the church, so I have time to eat my lunch, and read or write.
Around 14 hours, I make my way to see Mr. Mikosa, one of my fish farmers. This season it is difficult to do fish farming because of the rain but I still like to keep up with my farmers. When I get there he is on his way out so we briefly discuss fish farming, bee keeping, etc. I then go and visit his neighbor, who is one of my friends. She is relaxing by this time after have spent her morning in the field. We discuss how her garden is, how her family is, differences between American schools and Zambian schools, and the weather. A bit later I head to the school. Say hello to the teachers, then head home.
Usually in the evening I have a Grassroots Soccer program at the football field, but because it is the rainy season the football field is not slashed making it difficult for my program. So after visiting my friends and the teachers, I go home to prepare dinner, and hang out with the local children. Around 19 hours the sun sets. I get under my protective mosquito net soon after, then read awhile til I head to bed.
Everyday is a new adventure! Never know for sure what's going to happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment